Sunday, February 1, 2009

You Must Be My Lucky Star/All She Wants to Do is Dance!

So...gross/fun combo for you all!!

As you know the water to my home was broken over the weekend. Well..during the weekend...nature came calling and I had to GO! It was nighttime and under the most amazing sky that I have ever seen in my life...I did the business!

It was the weirdest feeling ever...not being an avid camper...or ever really going to the bathroom outside of the house much. So...when I was done...I just sat on the overhanging rocks and watched the sky until is was too cloudy to see anything.

Since light pollution is so little here you can see hundred of stars. This is also the first time I have ever really seen a star twinkle. I know we have all heard the old song..."Twinkle, Twinkle" but it take on a whole new meaning when you actually see it. I will take pictures of our over the ocean toilet for you all to see. The toilet paper was newspaper and I just had to laugh. At first I thought it was reading material but Yap is not the place to lounge in the toilet area.

Some of you may be thinking, "Good God! Why on earth is he sharing this"?!!? Well...it's a part of the culture here. Not everyone has flush toilets. In fact, few do. I found it to be great that ours was outside and didn't have the festering smell like in Pohnpei!
Mr. Hanky the Christmas Poo! Gross but fun!
Then...on Sunday I went to a village dance! What a great dance. Screaming, yelling, dancing, topless people all around. Followed by a huge meal complete with a roasted pig. They cook it in an underground pit and serve it with skin, fat, and all. It gives a new meaning to the words: Pig Picking. Man...I was doing some picking.

The dance was a "stick dance" with bamboo people use to swing around and make crashing noises and yell at the top of their lungs. It is really loud and the feeling is amazing. Everyone is in traditional attire: thuw, turmeric with coconut oils, nu-nus (flower leis), ankle coverings. It was awesome. I really liked wearing all that stuff for swear in. So it's really interesting to see the Yapese people wearing it. The turmeric turns their skin to this golden brown...like honey coated chocolate (GO India.Arie). I got some video and I doubt I will be able to post it...but I will at least put up some pictures in the next few days.
Anyway, no more poop news...just thought I would share!! I miss you all...and my toilet too!
Much Love,
D

1 comment:

Sue and Rick said...

You wanted to live in the city. If you had spent more time out here in the country, you would have noticed the stars years ago. Twinkling in the sky like Elton John. And "pig pickings"? Should have gone with us to Ricky Pope's Mother's Day Pig Pickings. Real pig without the pit. WE have pig cookers. Remember LP Gas? I have never seen anyone get such a joy out of using the bathroom outdoors. I remember when I was young that my grandparents did not have indoor plumbing, only an outhouse. your Mother said you give a new meaning tou brown out!