Thursday, January 29, 2009

More Gossip in the Yapese Court...

So..how fitting, after I entered a blog about gossip that I hear more about myself! So...my host father asked me last night, "Devin, did you hear about the water pipe"? "Yes, it's broken," I replied. He asked, "Did you break it? Because _______ said you did".

Well...I did NOT break the water pipe!! So..this morning..I had to use the outside shower again. Which I never thought I would like an outside shower...but I DO! The only thing is, I am not sure if I am supposed to be naked or not. It's kind of weird. I can see out....everything. I am so tall here that while most people can't see above the wall of the shower, I can. I know people can't see me...but it's still weird. Attribute it to my Puritanical American foundations. I just don't like to get naked outside. Maybe that's changing here! ;)

So..I quickly washed of...and did decide to strip down to my birthday suit. I felt so weird about it. Now..I should add, you can see through the back of the shower house when you go to use the outside toilet (over the ocean). I THINK that if someone is using the shower you are just not supposed to go to the bathroom. Yet, if I had to GO...I mean GO...it would be hard to ignore the bathroom urge. So..I just felt so weird and at odds. What is my host mother walked around the corner. But..it was another adventure.

I also have another story that I shouldn't post up here..but if you are interested..Just ask me about the purse story sometime. It makes me REALLY angry...but...what can you do? My cultural patience is wearing quite thin. The culture here is to gossip. You do nothing directly and there should be no confrontations (unless you have had three beers). So, as I said before, it's like a royal court without the glamour.

Anyway, have a good day!

No comments: