Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Some days...it's worth it!

So...today was a good day. I have been having a hard time recently. I have talked to family and friends about it...I am just going to have to make due.

But...the good news!! Today I taught my eighth graders how to make a graph. They have never made a graph before and they barely could read one! They were so into it that I had to take them away during class because they wouldn't stop working on them during other classes!!

They were also really excited about doing more graphs for homework. It was wild! As you know, I am in Yap...these are not computer graphs....they are handmade graphs from scratch with a ruler.

They were also really excited about their paragraphs! I am teaching them how to write strong topic sentences and how to keep paragraphs consistent and clear. So after a few tips and in class examples, we wrote some. The bell rang....the students continued sitting. I said, "Go...you have another class. You can leave." I didn't want to think that I was keeping them in the class. They replied, "We want to finish our paragraphs!!" I just smiled to myself!

When they came in from their other class they asked, "Did you like our paragraphs?? Are they better?!" Today...it was worth it.

No comments: